“Hey, You Guys!” The famous line from Steven Spielberg’s movie “The Goonies” can now be heard on the reels of this feature-rich slot creation from Blueprint Gaming. The little heroes from the cult film have made it onto video slot reels. The movie plot follows them as they trying to defend their neighbourhood “Goon Docks” against foreclosure and the plans of a property developer to replace it with a country club for the wealthy. In an attic, they discover a treasure map that once belonged to the fearless pirate One-Eyed Willy and set out on a wild adventure to find the lost fortunes to save their beloved hood.
Will you find One-Eyed Willy’s treasure and take home the lost fortunes? The game certainly provides the opportunities with no less than eight random features in the base game and a One-Eyed Willy wheel with six different bonus games.
The Goonies is a video slot with five reels, three reels, and 20 fixed pay lines. The RTP of this medium variance slot is set at a flat 96.00%. You can join in on the treasure hunt for as little as 0.10 credits while high rollers will be happy with the maximum bet of 200 coins. The maximum win in a single spin is 1,000 times the bet. However, the total win potential in a bonus round can be substantially higher.
Graphics and Visuals
How do you bring such an iconic movie to a set of slot reels and on top do the popularity justice? Blueprint is not new to such challenges and they have not failed on The Goonies either. The acclaimed treasure map can be seen in the background of the game window with gold coins spread around it. Intricate pay symbols depicting typical pirate-themed items and One-Eyed Willy himself coupled with a dramatic but catchy soundtrack complete a well-designed game.
The Goonies slot has nine regular pay symbols, starting at the low with J, Q, K and As. The premium symbols in ascending order are a gold scale, a skull, a shipwreck, a treasure chest with gold coins and a pirate flag. Only the pirate flag symbol appears in superstacks. The wild symbol is an old coin with the word ‘wild’ across it. Pays for a single five of a kind range from 2.5 to 25x the stake. The scatter is an artistic take of One-Eyed Willy marked with the word ‘bonus’.
The Random One-Eyed Willy’s Riches Features
The slot has no less than eight random reel modifiers in the base game. Six are named after the movie characters and can be triggered at the start of any spin. The other two modifiers can trigger only after a losing spin. In the world of pirates that would be called a bucket load.
The reels will start glowing at the start of a spin, announcing the trigger of one of the first 6 modifiers. Players are presented with three keys, from which they can pick only one to reveal what reel modifier will be applied on the spin.
- Truffle Shuffle Wilds will overlay a random number of reel position and turn them wild for the spin.
- Mikey’s Hidden Riches can turn any of the five reels into a wild reel.
- Data’s Colossal Symbols can turn three reels into a colossal reel with synchronized symbols.
- Mouth’s Lucky Coins adds up to 15 gold coins to each reel. Once they stop, all coins in view will reveal a common symbol.
- Sloth’s Win Spin guarantees a big win of minimum 10x the bet.
- One-Eyed Willy’s Bonus Boost will add more scatters to the reels that will increase the chance to trigger the bonus wheel.
As if that would be enough, Blueprint has added also two random modifiers that can be triggered after a losing spin. A scythe can appear to reshuffle the reels into a win or a cave collapse can happen that will realign the symbols on the reels to produce a winning combination.
The One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure Bonus Game
The bonus game is triggered by minimum three scatters on a spin or via the random One-Eyed Willy’s Bonus Boost. The slot will lead to a second screen with a ship’s steering wheel that displays six different bonus games. Players get one spin on the wheel to win one of the features which are displayed on a ladder to the right of the wheel. The higher they are on the ladder, the bigger the win potential for the feature.
After the initial spin, players can collect the won feature or gamble it to upgrade to a higher-value feature. The bonus wheel changes and contains now only two types of wedges, one with the feature that is next on ladder and a mystery wedge. Players can collect the last won feature at any stage or gamble repeatedly until they either win the One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure Bonus or the wheel stops on a mystery wedge. Landing on a mystery wedge will award a random coin win, usually around 10x the bet or less and will end the bonus round.
In ascending order of average payout, the six features are Fratelli Hideout, Skeleton Organ, Super Sloth Free Spins, Goonies Go Wild Free Spins, Inferno Free Spins, and One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure Bonus.
- Fratelli Hideout is a pick-and-click bonus game where players pick a key to reveal coins wins, collect or a hidden tunnel. The latter leads to the Hidden Tunnel sub-bonus game where players can trigger any of the other five bonus games.
- Skeleton Organ lets players select from a number of organ keys to reveal either a character that will award a coin win or an upgrade symbol that will increase the coin wins for future picks. Unveiling three key symbols will unlock the door to an additional feature bonus. But watch out for the skulls and crossbones as collecting three of them will end the bonus game.
- Super Sloth Free Spins bring a new reel set into play featuring the Fratelli family. During any spin, if a Super Sloth Wild lands in view any Fratelli symbols on the reels are turned into the top symbol. At the end of the round, the player has one extra chance to win extra prizes. They can make one pick from three chests to reveal extra spins, a collect symbol or the One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure Bonus round.
- Goonies Go Wild Free Spins will see one of the premium symbols turning into a wild symbol on every spin. Again, players will have a chance to win extra prizes. They can pick from a number of Copperpot Doubloons to reveal either collect, extra spins or One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure. Up to five extra spins will be awarded with all the Goonies symbols wild.
- Inferno Free Spins will unleash an inferno at the start of each spin that moves across the reels from right to left, turning between one to three consecutive reels wild. Yet again, more prizes wait to be won at the end of the round. Spinning the wheel will reveal either collect, extra spin or One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure. If the player reveals extra spins then the feature is retriggered.
- One-Eyed Willy’s Treasure Bonus is triggered by hitting five scatters in one spin, via one of the extra prizes in the other bonus rounds or by gambling all the way to the feature on the bonus wheel. Collect win multipliers until the booby trap hits the scales at which point the round is over.
Caught your breath yet after the going through the myriad of features on The Goonies. One thing is for sure, this game won’t bore you for a second. Blueprint Gaming has delivered yet again a feature-rich video slot that has good win potential and most of all, does justice to the cult film from the 80s.