Spirits of the Valkyrie
Embark on a mystical reel adventure into Norse mythology on the slot from Novomatic (Greentube) for an encounter with the Spirits of the Valkyrie. Will you be the chosen one to enter Valhalla? Four random features and three types of bonus rounds will prove if you are a worthy reel warrior to take home rewards worth 500 times your bet on every spin.
Spirits of the Valkyrie is a video slot with five reels, three rows and 20 fixed pay lines. Wins are awarded for two to five matching symbols on a line from left to right only. Your quest for Valhalla on desktop or mobile starts at 0.20 and peaks at 100 credits per spin. The game has medium volatility an RTP of 96.02%.
Novomatic is usually not a provider to spoil us with rich graphics or animations but on this slot, they went all out and created quite a spectacular appearance. The vast Norse land with snow-covered mountains on a clear night is the background to a frozen game window that is illuminated by a green Aurora Borealis. The Valkyrie stands to the right of the reels, ready to unleash her mystical powers to trigger one of the four modifiers. To left is the display for the Win Stack feature (more to that later). The usual reel noises are accompanied by an epic soundtrack.
Open the game to find the card royals from 10 through to A at the low end of the paytable, awarding wins from 0.3x to 0.4x your bet. They are followed by swords, axes, Thor’s hammer and shields. Hit five on a line to win 0.75x to 12.5x your stake. The mythical book is the wild and top-paying symbol, awarding 25x your bet for a 5OAK and substituting for all symbols bar scatters.
The game has three types of scatters. They appear as an unmarked green arrow with a set of wings on reels one and three as well as marked with either Free Spins or Win Stack on reel five.
Spirits of the Valkyrie Slot Features
The Valkyrie is not known to have a relaxed nature as you will experience in four random base game features. To the contrary, she is usually full of energy and power that she will randomly unleash onto the reels on any spin in the base game to award one of four reel modifiers:
- Colossal Magic: A 3×3 mega symbol is placed on a random reel position
- Blade of Fury: Random wild symbols drop onto the reels.
- Ice Blade: The Valkyrie cuts symbols from reel 5 and spreads them horizontally across all other reels.
- Shockwave Slash: Valkyrie will randomly add matching symbols on a winning spin, increasing the total win.
While the random feature can lead to sizeable wins in the base game, the big money on this game is in the three Spirit of the Valkyrie Bonus features. They are triggered in different ways, based on what kind of scatters land on reel five.
- Win Stack – standard scatters on reel one and three plus Win Stack scatter on reel five: All wins are added to the meter on the left. The total amount of the last 10 wins will be awarded when the feature is triggered.
- Free Spins – standard scatters on reel one and three plus Free Spins scatter on reel five: You’ll get 10 free spins which cannot be retriggered. Wins are paid both ways for the duration of the feature. The total win is added to the Win Stack meter as one amount.
- Combo Feature – standard scatters on reel one and three plus Win Stack + Free Spins scatter on reel five: You’ll get 10 free spins which cannot be retriggered. Wins are again paid both ways for the duration of the feature. The total win is added to the Win Stack meter as one amount, after which the Win Stack is paid.
Spirit of the Valkyrie really surprised me as I was expecting the usual rudimentary Novo design. And on top, the game is played rather well, the random features trigger regularly and only the Win Stack seems to take longer. Overall, a good game with medium volatility and win potential.