Enter the fantasy world of fire-breathing dragons, random reel modifiers, burning pay symbols and five types of free spins on Dragon Lore from Leander Games. From watching fantasy movies, we know that sleeping dragons are best not awakened as they might burn us to ashes with their fire breath. It is different on this game as the dragon is at the centre of the random reel modifiers that can produce mega wins of up to 2,500 times the stake.
Dragon Lore is a video slot with five reels, four rows, and 20 fixed pay lines. The game has medium volatility with an RTP of 95.96%. Naturally, the slot was designed in HTML5 format, making it available for play on any desktop and mobile device. Mingling with the dragon will cost from 0.20 to 40 coins.
Dragon Lore is set inside an ice cave of a fantasy world where a fire-breathing dragon is on the hunt for his next prey, in this case pay symbols. He is seen in a deep sleep on the right of the game window and waking him up will enrage him so badly that he will start breathing smoke in four different colours, each announcing a specific random reel modifier. The background of the game will also turn into the colour of the associated modifier. A somewhat heroic but pleasant soundtrack is accompanied by reel and win sounds and loudly interrupted by the dragon’s roar when he awakes.
All nine pay symbols and the wild symbol can appear stacked. They start with J, Q, and K at the low end followed by five gems in yellow, blue, green, red and white colours. The top paying symbol is the slot logo while a gem in rainbow colours is the wild symbol. Wins for a five of a kind range from 5x to 25x their stake. There are no bonus or scatter symbols on this slot as the free spins feature is triggered when five matching gems land on a pay line.
Random Features in the Base Game
The dragon can suddenly awake on any spin in the base game to award one of four reel modifiers – Lightning, Air, Earth, and Fire. The breath of the dragon and the background will turn to the colour of the associated reel modifier.
- Lightning is announced by a yellow colour, adding a win multiplier from x2 to x5 to one or more wild symbols if they land in a winning combination on the spin.
- Air initiates a blue haze and the dragon will wait for the reels to stop, after which he will turn a random number of reel positions into wild symbols.
- Earth comes with a green colour, seeing the dragon turning one or more reels into wild reels.
- Fire is represented by the red colour. The dragon will spew fire onto reel one to transform all positions into the top-paying Dragon Lore symbols. Reel one is then locked in place together with other Dragon Lore or wild symbols present on the reels for three respins. Any further wild or Dragon Lore symbols landing on the respins will be locked as well. Wins are evaluated after the last respin.
Free Spins Features
Hitting a five-of-a-kind of any of the five gem pay symbols on a win line will trigger eight free spins. Each gem will activate the type of free spins associated with the gem and colour, which includes a specific random reel modifier that is activated at a higher frequency during the feature. Wild symbols substitute missing gem symbols.
Multiple free spin rounds of any colour can be won in a single spin with a set of eight free spins being awarded for each five-of-a-kind. They can also be retriggered during the feature. A display at the bottom of the game window will indicate which type of free spins is in play and the remaining free spin rounds if more than one was won.
- Lightning Spins – triggered by a five-of-a-kind yellow gems. The dragon will randomly add a multiplier from x2 to x5 to any wild symbol in a winning combination. More than one multiplier on a spin will be added, not multiplied.
- Air Spins – triggered by a five-of-a-kind blue gems. The dragon will wait for the reels to stop and then transform a random number of symbols into wild symbols.
- Earth Spins – triggered by a five-of-a-kind green gems. The dragon will randomly turn one or more reels into stacked wild symbols.
- Fire Spins – triggered by a five-of-a-kind red gems. The random Fire feature will trigger with a higher frequency
- Ice Spins – triggered by a five-of-a-kind white gems. The dragon will freeze any wild symbols for a random number of spins. A thaw counter will indicate how many more spins the wilds will stay locked.
The top win in a single spin of 2,500x the bet can only be hit in the Lightning Spins round with a full screen of Dragon Lore symbols in combination with wild symbols, which will have a win multiplier attached.
This is a truly entertaining and sophisticated slot. Non-stop action with four random features and five types of free spins, superb graphics, pleasing soundtrack, and last but not least high win potential are all ingredients any avid slot player loves to see in a game. No doubt, Dragon Lore will end on many favourites’ lists.