The 5×5 game grid is essentially a swirl that leads from the bottom left corner to the centre of the game window. The locked key will always be placed on the starting position at the beginning of a spin sequence. The aim of the game is to progress the key to the centre location and trigger the free spins feature.
A win is achieved when minimum three matching symbols land horizontally or vertically adjacent. The combination will explode after the win is paid to allow for the other symbols including the chest to move forward. More symbols are introduced in the starting corner of the swirl to fill the void.
Any exploding winning combination will produce a wild symbol that will then progress along with the other symbols. A combo containing a wild symbol will shatter too and removing also the symbols horizontally and vertically adjacent to the wild. A combination with a wild symbol will not generate a new wild symbol. A spin sequence ends when no further winning combinations occur on a new avalanche or when the chest symbol reaches the centre position.
Finn and the Swirly Spin Slot Features
The quirky leprechaun won’t just entertain you with his music skills but has prepared a flurry of random and bonus features that will make your visit to his four realms worthwhile. For starters, you can benefit from four random features, which can trigger after the initial symbol avalanche to help you advance the key symbol to the centre of the swirl. Finn, usually sitting relaxed on the side of the game window, will take a break from his flute playing to activate one of the features:
- Starfall Wilds: Finn will add minimum two random wilds to the grid. He will keep adding wilds until a win occurs.
- Dragon Destroy: Finn will destroy a random number of symbols, followed by another avalanche to potentially lead to a winner.
- Irish Luck: A full vertical or horizontal line is transformed into one matching symbol, guaranteeing a win.
- Magic Transform: All spade and heart symbols are transformed into a random high-value symbol for bigger wins.
Getting the locked key symbol to the centre location will trigger the Free Spins feature with four modes. The game leads to a screen with Flinn flying off to one of the four realms that float above the clouds. One random feature will trigger on every losing free spin base on which mode you selected. You will need to trigger the bonus round a number of times to unlock all four modes. You can pick any mode once they are all unlocked.
- On first trigger – The Star Bar: Unlocked as default, awards seven Free Spins with the Starfall Wilds feature
- After four triggers – Lava Lair: Awards three free spins with the Dragon Destroy feature
- After nine triggers – Lucky Mug: Awards four Free Spins with the Irish Luck feature
- After 16 triggers – Golden Pot: Award two Free Spins with the Magic Transform feature
We thought we’d seen it all, but NetEnt indeed surprised us with a new reel mechanic when they released Finn and the Swirly Spin. While it delivers quirky reel action with plenty of features, it lacks a serious punch. The win potential peaks at just 1,000 times the bet which won’t raise to many eyebrows among experienced slot players.