Witness the history of horlogerie, the art of watchmaking, on the slot from Play’n GO. Chronos Joker will take you back to ancient periods of sundials and sand clocks. Long before atomic clocks were invented, we humans were always looking at how to measure time accurately. Egyptians and Babylonians are known to be the first to use sundials as far back as 1500 BC. Little did they know that today we would be wearing little computers called smartwatches on our arms wrists.
Four eloquent timepieces are at the centre of this Play’n GO slot together with a wild joker and traditional fruit symbols that appear in stacks to trigger three types of Respins and Super Respins with a potential to deliver wins of up to 1,600 times your bet.
Chronos Joker is a video slot in a 3×3 format with five fixed pay lines. Wins are awarded for three matching symbols or in combination with a wild symbol on a line from left to right only. Available on desktop, mobile and tablet, you can bet from 0.05 to 100 credits per spin. The game has medium variance (6/10) with a default RTP of 96.54%. Some operators choose the secondary RTP of 94.57%, always make sure to read the help files to find out which version you will be playing.
While simple looking, the design of the slot conveys a modern feeling with a structured reel canvas and a thinly lined frame. A deep space scene reminds us of the infinite time of the universe. Traditional fruit symbols bring us back to the more recent period of early slot machines while the timepieces showcase the advance in technology to measure time.
The pay symbols start at the low end with cherries, lemons, plums and grapes, awarding 0.4x to 1x your bet for a single three of a kind. They are complemented by four types of timepieces, each from a different era – sundial, sand clock, pocket watch and smartwatch. Hit three on a line to win 1.4x to 4x your stake. The Joker is the wild, substituting for all other pay symbols. He is also the top payer with 16x your bet when three appear on a line.
Chronos Joker Slot Features
Key to the gameplay and big wins on the slot are the stacked symbols as they will trigger one of six Respin features. Yeah, that’s not a typo. Play’n GO decided to forgo a traditional free spins round and included instead a modern twist with a flurry of different respins.
Landing two full stacks of matching or different symbols on any two reels will trigger one respin feature based on what multiplier is active. The game will respin the reel that does not contain a fully stacked symbol. If the stacks are different, then the one with the lower-value symbol will respin first. The standard feature ends at this point and any potential wins are then paid.
However, here comes twist that can have quite an impact on your potential winnings. Watch out for the win multiplier bar at the top of the game window as it can randomly activate while the respin is in progress. Based on what win multiplier is awarded, it will trigger one of three Respin features that will guarantee a win.
- The Spins of the Future: Triggers when the activated multiplier is x2. The respins will continue until you score a win. At the same time, the multiplier will increase on every respin to x3, x4, x5 and x10. It will stay on x10 until the end of the feature.
- The Spins of the Present: Triggers when the activated multiplier is x3, x4 or x5. There is no increase or decrease in the multiplier but the respins will continue until a win occurs.
- The Spins of the Past: Triggers when the activated multiplier is x10. The respins will again continue until you hit a winner but now the multiplier will decrease on every respin in the reverse order. It will stay on x2 should it reach the level until the end of the feature.
But that’s not the end yet. The multipliers can double at the start of any spin or respin, leading yet again to one of three Super Respin features depending on which multiplier is awarded.
- The Super Spins of the Future: Triggers when the activated multiplier is x4. The respins will continue until you score a win. At the same time, the multiplier will increase on every respin to x6, x8, x10 and x20. It will stay on x20 until the end of the feature.
- The Super Spins of the Present: Triggers when the activated multiplier is x6, x8 or x10. There is no increase or decrease in the multiplier but the respins will continue until a win occurs.
- The Super Spins of the Past: Triggers when the activated multiplier is x20. The respins will again continue until you hit a winner but now the multiplier will decrease on every respin in the reverse order. It will stay on x2 should it reach the level until the end of the feature.
Admittedly, I am not a fan of 3-reelers and opening a new game for the first time or reading the datasheet makes me shudder on each occasion as most creations of this type are plain boring. Well, at least for me and probably for a good chunk of the casino community. But there is once in a while a shining star in between them that will excite me a little once I got through the review. Chronos Joker is such a slot as it is fast-paced with medium volatility and surprising twists that can get your adrenalin flowing.
The win potential won’t have you jump off your seat but I can see the game delivering regularly wins in the 100x to 250x range. Anything more will be quite a task. For the maximum of 1,600x your bet you will need a full screen of Jokers with an x20 win multiplier. According to the game sheet, the chance for that to happen is 1:3.68011E-07 or in clear numbers 1:36.8 million spins. That might take some time to roll in.