Enter a world of colourful gems on the slot from Play’n GO. GEMIX was the first-ever grid game from the developer that used cascading symbols and cluster pays instead of spinning reels. It became an instant hit with the casino community and although released in 2014 it is still featured in the top charts across all online casinos. Highly entertaining it comes with unlimited worlds to progress through and a range of modifiers as well as a Super Charged mode that can lead to wins of up to 4,513 times your bet.
GEMIX is a cascading grid slot in a 7×7 format with cluster pays. Wins are awarded for clusters of five or more matching symbols landing adjacent horizontally or vertically. Your journey to the gem mines on desktop or mobile starts at 0.10 credits and peaks at 100 credits per spin. The game has medium volatility (6/10) with a default RTP of 96,83%. Some operators are offering the slot with the secondary RTP setting of 94.78%, always read the help files to find out which version you will be playing.
The visuals are impressive on this creation as they change based on your progress through the different worlds. As a default, you will be inside a gem mine with stalactite gems hanging from the ceiling and mushrooms growing on the ground. The miner will be your companion through this world. It will turn into a sugary wonderland in the second stage where a fairy will take over from the miner before a wizard comes to your side. An enchanted soundtrack completes the slot design.
The pay symbols start at the low end with a range of geometric gems in blue, turquoise, purple and green colours. They are followed by shaped gems – flower, bean, hears and stars. Pays for clusters of 15 or more symbols range from 7.5x to 1,000 times your bet. The game has three different wild symbols, each appearing in one of the interchanging worlds – miners lamp, lollipop and magic book.
GEMIX slot features
The genius of this slot is its simplicity which makes it highly addictive. Players are always inclined to say “one more world to complete” yet keep carrying on for hours on end. At the core of the gameplay is the cascading symbol mechanic, which sees 49 symbols dropping onto the grid at the start of a spin sequence. Any winners are removed to allow for new symbols to drop into place. The process is repeated as long as new winning cluster land on a fresh cascade.
On any losing spin, the current companion can appear on the right to apply his or her reel modifier. A number of wild symbols will be added in a variety of patterns based on which world the game is currently.
- Miner’s World: Adds up to 10 wilds in random positions
- Princess’ World: An edge symbol is picked to act as a starting point and turned into a wild symbol. The wild then spreads to adjacent symbols until it reaches one of the edge symbols of the grid.
- Wizard’s world: Up to 8 sticky wilds can appear in different positions on the grid. The sticky wild symbols do not drop down when symbols below are removed and are also not removed when part of any winning combination. Sticky wilds stay for one game round or until Crystal Charge is triggered.
The number of winning symbols from all cascades in a spin sequence is added to the Crystal Charge Meter on the right of the game window. The Charge is activated after 20 symbols while the Super Charge will need 40 symbols. Once activated, one of four reel modifiers is randomly selected to be applied to the grid. Triggering the Super Charge will multiply all wins up to the trigger and all subsequent wins by x3.
- Chain Lightning: Two, opposite to each other, corner symbols shoot out an electrical arc hitting symbols in an erratic fashion. These symbols are transformed into one of the corner symbols.
- Light Beam: Light rays shoot out vertically and horizontally from a symbol on the grid. All symbols in the affected column and row are transformed to other symbols.
- Crystal Warp: A symbol is selected on the grid. The selected symbol and all matching symbols are warped to other symbols
- Nova Blast: A symbol is selected on the grid and explodes. Adjacent symbols are removed from the game in this huge explosion. The explosion then retracts and creates a core of matching symbols.
The game continues normally after a modifier is applied, allowing the Crystal charge Meter to charge up for more effects, possibly creating additional wins. The sequence ends once no new winners occur and the charge meter does not reach minimum 20 symbols.
Below the charge meter, you can observe a pattern display which is mirrored in the background of the pay symbols. Any win landing on top of a part of the pattern will clear that part. Once the entire pattern is completed, a new one will be selected and the process is repeated. Each world has three patterns after which you will be progressing to a new world. Below the pattern grid is a display for the World Bonus. A separate percentage of each win is added to the balance, which is then paid out once the current world is cleared.
As the name indicates, Play’n GO created a real gem with this slot. It was an instant hit with players and remains so to this day. Some have advanced well past 1,000 worlds in their journey. The low minimum bet makes it a perfect choice for low rollers who are looking for a more playtime as the medium variance ensures balances do not drain too quickly.