Join Conan on the hunt for the leader of the snake cult on the slot from NetEnt. Aligned with the 1982 action movie by the same name, the barbarian warrior is on a quest to avenge the death of his parents at the hands of the vicious Thulsa Doom. The plot comes back to life on a 6×4 reel set with three sections, each with a distinct modifier. The game also features linked reels, random multipliers and a bonus round with up to 50 free spins that can lead to wins of up to 2,016 times your bet in a single spin.
Conan is a branded video slot with six reels, four rows and 24 lines, paying both ways from left to right and right to left. You can face the barbarian on desktop, tablet or mobile devices from 0.20 to 20 credits per spin. The game has medium to high volatility with an average RTP of 96.28%. For the first time, NetEnt stated an RTP range of 96.01 to 96.65% based on which free spins feature is chosen.
Set in a fictional village from the movie, the giant game window is flanked by wooden poles and dominated by the three main characters – Conan, Thusla Doom and Valeria. A heroic soundtrack with whistling wind noises and sword clashes make for an intense gaming experience.
Open the game to find a bronze coin with an eagle, a silver coin with a snake and a golden coin with a lion at the low end of the paytable. A single six of a kind will award 1x to 1.5x your stake. They are followed on the medium level by rope hooks, swords and warrior helmets, paying 2.5x to 3.5x your bet when six land on a line. The premium symbols are Valeria, Thusla Doom and Conan. Hit six across the reels to win 5x to 6x your stake.
An ancient shield crossed by swords acts as the scatter symbol. The game has two types of wilds – Tower and Battle Wilds – each appearing in its own section only or on all reels if they were selected for the free spins feature. They will substitute for all regular pay symbols.
Conan Video Slot Features
Prepare for an intense gaming session that conveys rather well the barbaric action from the movie. The first feature you will encounter is the Pay-Both-Ways mechanic, awarding wins from left to right and from right to left, including a six of of a kind.
In the base game, the 6×4 reel set is divided into three 2×4 sections, each with a distinct reel modifier. The sections and dividers are visible in the background of the pay symbols. Each modifier is triggered when the respective symbol lands on any of the two reels in the section. All three modifiers can be active in a single spin.
- Reel 1 and 2 – Tower Wilds: Any wild landing on the first two reels will expand to cover two to four reel positions.
- Reel 3 and 4 – Mystery Symbols and Multipliers: Any snake mystery symbols landing on the two centre reels will reveal a common symbol, except wilds or scatters. The mystery multiplier is triggered when a full stack lands on either or both reels. Conan will appear to fight giant snakes and award a win multiplier from x3 to x7 for the current spin. The multiplier feature will not trigger on losing spins. Landing a full stack of mystery symbols and either a Tower or Battle Wild will randomly activate the Thoth-Amon feature (see below).
- Reel 5 and 6 – Battle Wilds: Any wild landing on reels five and six will expand sideways and add up to three wilds to the adjacent reel.
The above are the standard modifiers but that feels more like an appetizer as the game as a few more twists that will significantly heighten the suspense and win potential. NetEnt connoisseurs will remember the Linked Reels from Twin Spin. They have been reenacted on Conan and will light up randomly to synchronize the two reels of one section. More than one section can be linked in one spin.
The suspense is heating further up when you hit one or two full stacks of snake mystery symbols on the centre reels and at the same time either Tower or Battle Wilds on the other reels. The game will then randomly trigger the Thoth Amon feature which will see an additional three to six mystery symbols being added to reels two to five. All mystery symbols in view will unveil a common symbol except wilds or scatters.
Hitting three or more scatters will trigger the Free Spins feature with three modes. Expect an average it frequency of 1:158 spins, Three, four, five or six scatters will award 10, 15, 25 and 50 free spins respectively. Before the round starts, the game will lead you to a selection screen, displaying three options with varying volatility.
You can choose any on every trigger. Each type has one of the modifiers from the base game with the difference that it will be active across all six reels instead of just one section. Plus, the Linked Reels feature is active throughout the bonus round, synchronizing two to six reels on every free spin.
- City of Thieves Free Spins – Low/Medium Volatility: The Tower Wilds can appear on all reels and will expand vertically to cover two to four reel positions. No other features are active except the Linked Reels.
- Walls of Tarantia Free Spins – Low/Medium Volatility: The Battle Wilds can appear on all reels and will expand sideways to create up to three extra wilds on an adjacent reel. No other features are active except the Linked Reels.
- Temple of Serpent Free Spins – Medium/High Volatility: The Mystery Symbols can appear on all reels. Landing at least one full stack activates the Mystery Multiplier from x3 to x7. Landing five to nine Mystery symbols will randomly trigger the Thoth Amon feature where up to six more mystery symbols are added to the reels. The Tower and Battle Wilds cannot appear during the feature.
We expected a feature-rich slot with intense gameplay when NetEnt announced Conan earlier in 2019. And that is exactly what we got. There something happening on virtually every spin, although the mystery symbols proved to unveil the wrong symbols rather disappointingly often. The format with a 6×4 reel set and three sections is something we haven’t seen before but instantly liked it.
However, we weren’t too impressed with the rather low to medium win potential. We have not had confirmation yet for the overall maximum win on the game and will update the review the soon we receive the information. From looking at the paytable, for a single spin it peaks at just over 1,000x the bet when the maximum x7 multiplier is in play. Still, well worth giving the Conan slot a few spins when it is released on 24th September 2019.
Update 9th August 2019: Looks like our estimate wasn’t exactly right as we counted wins for a six of a kind to be paid only one way. According to the official game sheet, they are actually also paid both ways which then takes the maximum win potential in a single spin to 2,016 times your bet in the base game and free spins.