Team up with three superhero witches to become the ultimate Wonderland Protector on the slot from NetEnt. Charms and spells abound on this high-volatility reel adventure through a fantasy world that is under threat of being taken over by evil creatures. Coming to the rescue are cluster pays, two random features and a multi-level bonus game with free spins and boss fights that can lead to wins of up to 2,500 times your bet.
Wonderland Protect is a 5×5 grid slot with Avalanche symbol drops. Every spin sequence starts with 25 symbols cascading onto the reels with the aim to land three to five matching symbols connected horizontally or vertically. Winning combos will explode to make room for new symbols to drop into place. The process is repeated until no new wins occur after a fresh avalanche. All wins are accumulated and paid once a spin sequence concludes. You can face the monsters together with the three hero witches on desktop or mobile from 0.20 to 400 credits. The game has high volatility with an RTP of 96.47%.
Loading the game will take you into a cartoonish fantasy world with the three hero witches on a star pedestal brewing the latest concoction. The game grid is completely frameless and seems to be floating in the enchanting scenery. The scenery will change into a blazing or frozen battleground in the free spins.
The regular pay symbols are gems in varying shapes and colours. They appear in ascending order in green, red and blue colours, each associated with one of the three heroes. This will play a major role in most features on this slot. At the low end, they are simple gems in a silver frame while at the medium level, you will find them marked with a flower, icicle and skull in green, red and blue colours. Pays for a single five of a kind range from 0.4 to 15x your stake. A purple gem marked with a star as well as the wild symbol round off the top of the paytable and are the most valuable, yielding 100x your bet for a single five of a kind. A star icon marked with ‘S’ acts as the scatter.
Wonderland Protector Slot Features
If you ever played Wild Worlds from NetEnt then you will know very well what to expect in terms of features. Wonderland Protector is basically a 100% clone that is designed to appeal to an Asian audience as NetEnt is increasing its efforts to expand their reach into the Far East. Nevertheless, it is a slot filled to the brim with modifiers and features that will keep you not only well entertained but also deliver some decent wins that can go up to 2,500 times your bet in the free spins. So bear with us as we take you through the maze in chronological order.
- Random Destroy Feature: Will trigger randomly after any losing spin in the base game, selecting one of the hero witches and all instances of symbols with the associated hero colour will remain on the reels while all others in view are destroyed, except wilds and scatters. A new avalanche of symbols will then fill the empty spaces to potentially turn a losing spin into a win.
- Hero Wilds Feature: Triggers in the base game and free spins when every time you land a winning combination with any of the three medium-value marked hero symbols. All other instances of the same symbol in view which are not part of a winning combo will turn into a wild symbol for the current spin sequence.
Make sure you are not in a hurry when you start playing Wonderland Protector as it will take some time to get through the main act. Having three or more scatters in view at the end of a spin sequence will trigger 8 Free Spins with three worlds, nine captains and three Bosses.
The game leads to a second screen with a world selector to determine in which world the first battle will take place – Dark Forest, Ice World, Fire Lands. It then returns to the main screen with the left side of the game client changing to a battleground with three Captain monsters, each with a damage meter, in the background. In front are the three heroes with a Hero meter underneath of each.
The aim in the bonus round is to beat three Captains and subsequently the Boss to progress through a total of three worlds. Defeating the captains and the Boss is done by scoring winning combinations with low and medium-value hero symbols which will put two features at the disposal of the three hero witches to deal damage to the monsters:
- Hero Attack: any winning combination with a low-value symbol will deal damage to the monsters and charge the Hero meter of the hero matching in colour in the winning combo
- Hero Super Attack: is launched once the Hero meter of a hero is fully charged to deal extra damage to the current monster.
The Captain monsters have 15 health points while the Boss monster has 105 health points. An attack or super attack will reduce the health points of a monster by 1 to 4 points.
Defeating all Captains in a world will get you to the Boss fight while beating the Boss will advance you to the next world and retrigger eight free spins. In each world, extra wilds are awarded for each Captain that is eliminated. A friendly owl will pick them up and drop them in specific patterns, based on which world the battles take place:
- Dark Forest | Green World – Spreading Wilds: A number of single wilds are spreading to random positions.
- Ice World | Blue World – Heavy Wilds: One stack of two wilds is placed on a random reel position.
- Fire Lands | Red World – Random Wilds: Two to four single wilds are placed on random reel positions.
NetEnt is pushing relentlessly in its campaign to launch Asian-themed slots to get a foothold in a market where European developers are not the main providers. Unfortunately, they are simply cloning existing games and only change graphics, which might be OK for Asian players who have never seen a NetEnt slot but all others will just yawn. Still, Wonderland Protector is overall an entertaining slot with ample features and medium win potential.