Get ready to return to a fantasy wonderland for another gem blast on the slot from Play’n GO. Gemix 2 is the sequel to the hugely popular 2014 original, taking players on a reel journey across a 7×7 grid with now four worlds, four Crystal Charge features, random wild modifiers, the pickpocket G-Nome and a Super Charged mode with x2 multipliers that can lead to wins of up to 7,500 times your bet.
Update 6th April 2021: Gemix 2 will be released on 8th April 2021 as a 3-months exclusive at Unibet and sister brands from the Kindred Group. The global release is planned for 8th July 2021.
Gemix 2 is a cascading grid slot in a 7×7 format with cluster pays. Wins are awarded for clusters of five or more matching symbols landing adjacent horizontally or vertically. You can return to the gem mines on desktop, tablet or mobile from 0.10 to 100 credits per spin. The game has high volatility with a default RTP of 96.26%. Beware, secondary settings at 94.27% or 91.27% might be offered, always check the help files to find out which version you will be playing.
While the visuals and audio have not changed much from the original, they did receive a makeover and the characters have aged. The little princess is now grown up and exchanged the lollipop for a mirror and the miner has a much longer beard. Plus, we can welcome a fourth character together with a new world. The brave Sky Night is now part of the gameplay, one could say in pursuit of wooing the beautiful princess. The characters will also intermittently comment on the gameplay when they trigger their modifier.
The pay symbols are largely unchanged although they also received a modest makeover to make them look fresh. At the low end is a range of geometric gems in blue, turquoise, purple and green colours, awarding 4x to 10x your bet for a cluster of 15 or more symbols They are followed by shaped gems – flower, bean, hearts and stars. Hit 15+ clusters to win 25x to 200x your stake. The game has now four different wild symbols, each appearing in one of the interchanging worlds – knight’s shield, miners lamp, princess mirror and magic book.
Gemix 2 Slot Features
It was only a matter of time until we would get the news that Play’n GO will be releasing a sequel to one of its first and most popular grid slots. Gemix has been a player favourite ever since its release in 2014 and as such it will be interesting to see what is still included or new on Gemix 2.
At the core of the gameplay is still the cascading symbol mechanic with cluster pays, which sees 49 symbols dropping onto the 7×7 grid at the start of every spin sequence. Hit clusters of five or more and you have a winner. They will then shatter to allow for new symbols to cascade into place. The process is repeated as long as more winning clusters land after a tumble.
Get ready to meet a new companion as Play’n Go added a fourth world and its guardian to the gameplay. The aim is still to progress through the four worlds in a successive order which will be repeated in a loop. Each has its own guardian and attached wild modifier to help you score wins and keep a spin sequence going.
Initially loading the game, will always select the Sky Knight’s world, followed by the Miner, the Princess and the Wizard, easily recognized by the different backgrounds. Any progress will be saved between sessions and you will restart at the stored point when you reload the game at a later date.
The active guardian can appear at any time at the start or during a spin sequence to wield his/her powers and add random wilds to the grid. Other guardians can magically appear too and apply their modifier as well, however, the currently active one will always be first.
- Sky Knight: Adds one or two 2×2 Mega Shield Wilds to a random position. They count as a single x2 multiplier wild only, which means you still need minimum four matching symbols around the shield to score a winner.
- Miner: Adds up to 10 single Miner’s Lamp Wilds in random positions.
- Princess: An edge symbol is picked to act as a starting point and is turned into a Princess Mirror Wild. The wild then spreads to adjacent symbols until it reaches one of the edge symbols on any side of the grid, leaving a trail of wilds in its wake.
- Wizard: Up to 5 sticky Magic Book Wilds can appear in different positions on the grid. The sticky wild symbols do not drop down when symbols below shatter and will not be removed when part of any winning combination. They will stay sticky for one game round or until Crystal Charge is triggered.
While on your magical reel journey, make sure to keep an eye on the Crystal Charge Meter to the right of the grid (desktop). The number of winning symbols from all cascades in a spin sequence is added to the meter and reaching or surpassing 25 symbols will activate one of four modifiers. Collecting 50+ symbols will trigger the Super Charge with an x2 multiplier and all four modifiers activated simultaneously (more to that shortly). The progress on the charge meter will reset if it does not reach the required thresholds and also between spins. Plus, any unused or sticky wilds on the screen will turn into Miner’s Lamp Wilds once a Crystal Charge is triggered.
- Nova Blast: A symbol is selected on the grid and explodes, removing all adjacent in a 7-symbol diameter. The explosion then retracts and creates a core cluster of a random symbol.
- Crystal Warp (shown in the image above): A symbol is selected on the grid. All occurrences on the grid are warped into one other symbol.
- Light Beam: Light beams shoot out vertically and horizontally from a randomly selected position on the grid. All symbols in the affected column and row are transformed into other symbols.
- Chain Lightning: Two, opposite to each other, corner symbols shoot out an electrical arc hitting symbols in an erratic fashion. All hit symbols are transformed into one of the corner symbols.
Throughout all random wilds and charges, a spin sequence continues as normal as long as more winning clusters land after a cascade. The main event is triggered should you charge the Crystal Charge Meter with 50 or more symbols within a single cascading sequence. Once no more wins occur, the game will then trigger the Super Charge. All four Crystal Charges will be activated simultaneously and all wins will be multiplied by x2.
Supercharging the meter again with 50 symbols will retrigger the Super Charge and increment the multiplier by x1, up to a maximum of x20. All ends, if no more winning clusters appear and the meter has not been charged sufficiently for another retrigger.
And there is more. Below the Crystal Charge Meter, you will observe two displays, one with patterns and one marked with World Bonus. Each world will see you progressing through two levels to potentially be rewarded with the accumulated amount in the World Bonus display. Every win during the period to complete a pattern will contribute a fraction to the World Bonus.
Patterns are randomly chosen at the start of a new level and shown in the middle display on the right of the game window (desktop). Any win landing on top of a part of the pattern will clear that part and highlight it on the grid and in the display. Once the entire pattern is completed, a new one will be selected and the process is repeated.
Clearing both levels of a world will trigger the Pick A Pocket bonus game. G-NOME, a shady travelling merchant, will appear and offer you to pick one of his pockets. The total amount shown in the World Bonus display is awarded if you select the correct pocket, in any other case it will roll over to the next world. You will get another chance at winning the bonus after clearing again two levels.
Although expected, the announcement for the release of Gemix 2 came as a surprise as it did not appear on any of the current roadmaps. It feels like Play’n GO has learned its lessons from overdoing the changes with Reactoonz 2 and opted for more subtle upgrades that keep most of the original mechanics but also add a few new twists to the gameplay. Not to forget, the increased win potential at 7,500x, up from just over 4,500x. Overall, a highly playable slot that will please existing Gemix enthusiasts and no doubt many soon-to-be fans.
Gemix 2 – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 1. How can I win the World Bonus on Gemix 2?
- 2. How many matching symbols need to be in cluster to form a win on Gemix 2
- 3. Can I win Free Spins on Gemix 2?